Saturday, May 16, 2009

Challenge Update


I finished reading The Hours by Michael Cunningham.

About:
The Hours is both an homage to Virginia Woolf and very much its own creature. Even as Michael Cunningham brings his literary idol back to life, he intertwines her story with those of two more contemporary women. One gray suburban London morning in 1923, Woolf awakens from a dream that will soon lead to Mrs. Dalloway. In the present, on a beautiful June day in Greenwich Village, 52-year-old Clarissa Vaughan is planning a party for her oldest love, a poet dying of AIDS. And in Los Angeles in 1949, Laura Brown, pregnant and unsettled, does her best to prepare for her husband's birthday, but can't seem to stop reading Woolf. These women's lives are linked both by the 1925 novel and by the few precious moments of possibility each keeps returning to.
I saw the movie The Hours in 2002 when it came out. I loved the movie, but hadn't read the book until now. The book was even better. I had forgotten the ending, and it still surprised me the second time, even though I had already seen the movie. It was so good. I give The Hours
Up next for me is The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS