Saturday, May 9, 2009

Challenge Update


I finished reading The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1995.
The Pulitzer Prize was established by journalist Joseph Pulitzer, founder of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (with a $10,000 cash reward) goes to a work of "distinguished fiction by an American author, preferably dealing with American life."
About The Stone Diaries:
This is a fictionalized autobiography of Daisy Goodwill Flett, captured in Daisy's vivacious yet reflective voice. After a youth marked by sudden death and loss, Daisy escapes into conventionality as a middle-class wife and mother. Years later she becomes a successful garden columnist and experiences the kind of awakening that thousands of her contemporaries in mid-century yearned for but missed in alcoholism, marital infidelity and bridge clubs. The events of Daisy's life, however, are less compelling than her rich, vividly described inner life--from her memories of her adoptive mother to her awareness of impending death. Shields' sensuous prose and her deft characterizations make this, her sixth novel, her most successful yet.
This book did not win me over. I had trouble finishing it (but I did finish), so I have to give it
I did appreciate the author's style of writing. It was very vivid and descriptive. I would be willing to try another one of her books (good thing, because Larry's Party is also on my challenge list); this one just didn't interest me.

Up next for me is Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS