Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fall Challenge Update

I was lucky enough to have jury duty this week! The good part about it was being able to finish one of my fall challenge books, A Wedding in December. I usually like Anita Shreve's books, including the first one I read, The Pilot's Wife, and the most recent one, Body Surfing. I was anticipating that A Wedding in December would be very good. I was intrigued by the synopsis:

Writing with the fluent narrative artistry and the acute grasp of human motivation that distinguish all of her bestselling novels, Anita Shreve tells the compelling story of seven former schoolmates who gather at an inn in the Berkshires to celebrate a wedding. Their reunion becomes the occasion of astonishing revelations, recrimination, and forgiveness as the friends collectively recall a long-ago night that forever marked each of their lives.

As interesting as it sounded, it just didn't turn out well. A few things bothered me. I didn't think any of the main characters were very well developed. I kept wanting to know more about each of them. I also didn't care for the story within a story part of the book. I skimmed over most of it and didn't feel like it fit in with the rest of the book. The references to 9/11 didn't really seem to add much either. Overall, the story was just too boring (and it could have been so good). At least it helped me pass the time at jury duty! On to my next fall challenge book, Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS