Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wednesday Wish List

I'm going to start alternating Wednesday posts between Weekly Word Wednesdays, Borders Bestsellers and this new category, Wednesday Wish List. I'll post about a book that I recently added to my to-be-read wish list. Here's the first one:

Push by Sapphire


Claireece Precious Jones endures unimaginable hardships in her young life. Abused by her mother, raped by her father, she grows up poor, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and generally unnoticed. So what better way to learn about her than through her own, halting dialect. That is the device deployed in the first novel by poet and singer Sapphire. "Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning." An intense story of adversity and the mechanisms to cope with it.

The novel has been adapted for film and is called Precious. It features Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe and Mariah Carey.



Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS