Friday, April 17, 2009

Feature Fridays



The classic feature today is Of Mice and Men (1937) by John Steinbeck.

Plot from Goodreads:

Drifters in search of work, George and his simple-minded friend Lennie, have nothing in the world except each other - and a dream. A dream that one day they will have some land of their own. Eventually they find work on a ranch, but their hopes are doomed as Lennie - struggling against extreme cruelty, misunderstanding and jealousy - becomes a victim of his own strength. Tackling universal themes, friendship and a shared vision, and giving a voice to America's lonely and dispossesed, Of Mice And Men remains Steinbeck's most popular work.

Steinbeck originally titled it Something That Happened, but he changed it after reading a poem:

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley (Go oft' astray)" from To a Mouse by Robert Burns

Of Mice and Men has been banned from American public and school libraries for containing profanity and generally vulgar, offensive language and racial slurs. It is on the American Library Association's list of the Most Challenged Books of the 21st Century. Even though it has been targeted by censors, Of Mice and Men is still often required high school reading.

Did you read it in high school? Did you like it? Did you think it was vulgar? Have you read other books by John Steinbeck?

I did read Of Mice and Men in high school...I remember liking it a lot. It's pretty short, so I think I might re-read it to remember the details. I think I also read The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, but I don't really remember much about it...I guess I didn't like it as much.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS