Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday Spotlight

Today's author is Mary Roach.


Here are a few of the things she has to say about herself:
I grew up in a small house in Etna, New Hampshire.
My dad was 65 when I was born.
I graduated from Wesleyan in 1981.
I spent a few years working as a freelance copy editor before landing a half-time PR job at the SF Zoo.
I mostly write books these days, but I still write the occasional magazine piece.
I often write about science, though I don't have a science degree and must fake my way through interviews with experts I can't understand.
My first book, Stiff, was an offshoot of a column I wrote for Salon.com.


Read more here.

In addition to Stiff, she has 3 other books: Spook, Bonk, and her latest, Packing for Mars.















About Packing for Mars...

Space is a world devoid of the things we need to live and thrive: air, gravity, hot showers, fresh produce, privacy, beer. How much can a person give up? How much weirdness can they take? What happens to you when you can't walk for a year? What happens if you vomit in your helmet during a space walk? Is it possible for the human body to survive a bailout at 4,000 miles per hour? To answer these questions, space agencies set up all manner of quizzical and startlingly bizarre space simulations -- making it possible to preview space without ever leaving Earth. From the space shuttle training toilet to a crash test of NASA's new space capsule (cadaver filling in for astronaut), Packing for Mars takes us on a surreally entertaining trip into the science of life in space and space on Earth.

Have you read any of her books?

I have Stiff. Definitely worth reading. I like her writing style and it's interesting material.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS